Saturday, July 25, 2015

Arizona Mystery Box, The Sequel


     How long has it been since I've been out to the flea market, or garage sales or anything really? Work has been consuming my weekends, weekdays and most nights. Had every intention of going out this morning to the Flea Market, I really did, took my wife and son out to lunch, hit the comic book shop and just felt exhausted. I guess the hardest part of maintaining a collection and blog about it, is to actually.. you know, go out. My mother in Arizona has been nice enough to keep the books coming from the book store that closed out by them, which is great for me to keep me interested and excited about collecting.


     Super pumped about this lot, it has a good mix of everything! Daw yellow-spine originals, a quiz book, Piers Anthony paper backs, vintage trade paperbacks from the 50's. and more.

Anything that has a cover anything like this, I'm all in. 

I tried to read some Cap Kennedy about a year ago, and it's not terrible. Not as good as Lucky Starr.

Two great Daw originals. 

A great example of trade paperbacks from the 1950's. Such a mixed bag of quality, (or lack of it) and basic fonts. The paper from the 50's and 60's was different. Feels stiffer, holds up better to age.

 The hard backs were in great shape. The orbit books are a great time capsule to the book clubs of the 70's... the covers, the short story compilations, and of course the last few pages where you can order countless other books just like the one you have in your hand.

     I'm starting to cherry pick some of the books that I have not cataloged, and reading the first chapter or so. Being so far removed from a regular reading schedule, this is all I have time for most afternoons. When I'm done, I put them in a different pile, and just pick up another one. It's strange that although my reading habits change, they never really go away. I'm a huge Sherlock fanboy, and have to read the whole catalog every year, so that is looming over my head as the year comes to a close. I should do a small post on my copy of Sherlock Holmes complete works; It's a Barnes and Noble special missing the dust jacket on what seems to be bible paper, in eight point font. I've made notes on page, dropped tacos on others during study, but it's mine and I love it. I believe i bugged my step mother to buy it for me when I was in middle school. 

I think I've written enough. 

Until next time when I take a deeper look in to The Science Fiction Quiz Book. (Top photo)

1 comment:

  1. As always, a blast reading your blog; funny and informative! Glad you liked the books, though I believe that cardboard box has finally ended its long and productive life this go-around!
    Keep up the great work. Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete