Friday, October 11, 2013

Paperback Exchange Pickups


     I had a few minutes to myself, so I decided to go to one of my regular haunts, The Book Rack in greater Fort Myers. This place is just a diamond in the rough. If they don't have something you are looking for, than it does not exist. The owner is nice, has no idea what's on the shelf, and most every thing is .50 cents to 1.50, tops.


     This was just one small crowded section I took a picture of. I documented all the sci-fi/fantasy shelves and book cases in this post for those who are interested. Easily 10,000 books in the genre I shop in, with more piled up in boxes. You better not be in a rush to find anything when you come here! I spent a good hour reading, unpacking boxes, moving things around and found a few things I did not have that I thought were worth taking home with me. Behold, my precious...

 (as always, click to enlarge)

     Two Forgotten Realms books I already own, but I know someone who is looking for them, three R.R. Martin short story compilation books that are pretty hard to come by, and a smattering of vintage paperbacks to round out the bunch. Most notable is Death Cloud, by Mannion. I almost never see this book for sale, and had no idea what the cover even looked like. Ebay did not have a copy for sale, and Amazon did not have this first edition cover depicted. I'd say its a pretty good find! Honorable mention to Orbitsville, by Shaw. Interesting little advertisements inside:


   
     When I read, I only smoke Kent Golden Lights. Also, a little insert advertising a book club that sells those BCE's we loved so much in the 70's and 80's.

 
     A little better picture of the Wild Cards book by Martin. Since A Game of Thrones is so popular, these go for about $15 each on eBay right now. Not that I would sell them or anything. Overall, I spent about $10.00 on everything, and found some pretty cool paperbacks. As customary on a good book hunting adventure, I will now reward myself with a Newcastle Brown Ale for my efforts. Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Major Asselin;
    I figure you'd be one of the best people to ask about this. Back in the 80s and early 90s there was a Fantasy Novel series of books that had what looked like pictures of Gnomes with huge noses on the sleeve of their paperbacks in the series. I can't for the life of me remember what the series was called so that I can recollect them. I'm pretty sure it was not the Shannara series.
    Do you have any ideas what this series was?

    ReplyDelete